Resident FAQs

Answers to our most commonly asked questions

  • Can you hold a place before I apply?

    Unfortunately we cannot place a hold a property. We will need applications and all supporting documents. The San Antonio rental market is booming and it is very important that you place an application as soon as you find the home that best suites your needs. It is not abnormal for a property to receive multiple applications so time is of the essence!
  • Do I pay first month’s rent and last month’s rent with my security deposit?

    The security deposit does not cover any rent whatsoever. The security deposit’s purpose is for any damages (beyond the scope of normal wear & tear) that might have occurred during occupancy.
  • How old do you have to be to apply?

    We require anyone 18 and older or if you are legally emancipated to apply for rental of our properties. Please review of rental criteria in it’s entirety.
  • I see that my administrative fee, security deposit and first month’s rent must be paid in certified funds. What are they and where can I obtain them?

    That's correct. We must receive the administrative fee, the security deposit and the first months rent in certified funds. Certified funds are monies that are guaranteed by the bank. Cashier’s checks are obtained by you banking institution or credit union. Money orders are also certified funds which can be obtained from local convenience and grocery stores such as Walmart or H-E-B.
  • Is the deposit refundable?

    The deposit is certainly refundable however the refunded portion is based on the condition of the property after move out. We WANT you to get your deposit back and in order to assist with this we take a detailed video and many photos of the property’s condition prior to your move in as well as one upon your departure. This makes the comparison process very simple and protects you against being charged for any existing damages. You also will receive an Inventory & Condition Form at move in which allows you to document any deficiencies and turn back into us.
  • You have a property I want to rent. How do I apply?

    We know you're busy and with that in mind, we have made the application process painless and straightforward. Simply click here for our online application and all the details on what we need as supporting documents to consider your application received in full on our end.
  • Do you have a Military Clause?

    San Antonio has a large military presence and we absolutely do have a Military Clause within our leases. Texas Association of Realtors standardized the Residential lease Agreement, which is the only one that we use, in accordance with Texas Property Code, Sec. 92.017 .
  • Required renter’s insurance?

    Accidents happen and a common misconception is that the homeowner or landlord’s insurance policy will cover the tenant. A landlord’s coverage likely only cover the building structure only.

    Protect yourself and your belongings by understanding Renter’s insurance and it’s components.

    Contact your preferred insurance agent or provided for details.

    We will require proof of a policy at a minimum of $100,000 liability coverage and Hallmark Residential Property Management, LLC. named as an “interested party” in order to obtain keys on the move in date.

  • How do I pay rent?

    Our tenant portal is the perfect rent payment method. All you have to do is create your account and set up rent payment with a bank account & routing number. Rent can also be paid on the portal via credit card although please be advised, there is a convenience fee imposed for these transaction.
  • I want to get a pet. What do I do?

    Please be sure to contact us as soon as you start to think about the possibility of a pet. Each of our homes have slightly different pet acceptance rules. It is important that we have approval from the homeowner regarding their acceptance of pets. Many homeowners will have restrictions on the pet of pet they will allow and size. Please also keep in mind that we are unable to approve any pets considered to be aggressive. Click here (link) for Hallmark Residential Property Management’s restricted breed list.
  • My lease expiration is coming and I want to move out. What do I do?

    At Hallmark Residential Property Management we keep a detailed list of lease expirations so we can be proactive with the renewal process. Our process requires to first touch base with the owner regarding any intentions they have but once we receive the ‘green light’ on renewal, we will reach out to you via email. This is typically about 60 to 75 days prior to the expiration date of your current lease. Of course, you are always welcome to contact us for any renewal inquiries prior.
  • Who is responsible for paying for repairs & maintenance requests?

    This is a great question and the answer to it depends on the situation at hand.

    Many tenants believe that landlords are responsible for paying the cost of all repairs, but tenants must foot the bill in some instances. Paragraph 18D(2) of the TAR Residential Lease specifies the circumstances where the tenant is responsible for the cost of repairs.

    • When the tenant causes the condition
      If a ceiling fan stops working under normal use, the landlord must pay to fix it. However, if the fan was spinning just fine until the tenant threw a football that knocked off a fan blade, the tenant must pay.
    • When a tenant’s guest causes the condition
      Suppose a tenant’s guest mistakenly shifts his vehicle into drive rather than reverse and plows into the front of the house. It doesn’t matter that the tenant wasn’t the person driving; the tenant still has to pay for the repair.
    • Damage to doors, windows, and screens (and damage caused by leaving them open)
      Whether a door, window, or screen is damaged by a tenant, the tenant’s guest, a tree, a bird, a criminal, or any other cause, the lease specifies that repairs are the responsibility of the tenant. Tenants must also pay for any damage caused by leaving doors or windows open.
    • Certain plumbing problems
      Tenants must pay for plumbing repairs due to blocked drains if the stoppage was caused by “foreign or improper objects in the lines that exclusively serve the property.”

    Paragraph 18D(2)e also specifies that landlords are not required to pay for cosmetic repairs that do not affect the use of the item. Finally, the paragraph provides a blank to list additional items the landlord wants to specify as the responsibility of the tenant if those items require repairs.